The State Council on Developmental Disabilities has suggestions for getting together with friends and family virtually during this holiday season: “Ideas for Activities While Sheltering in Place” (“Ideas para Actividades Mientras Se Refugia en el Lugar”) or “10 Tips to Support Someone During Times of Change” (10 Consejos para Apoyar a Alguien en Tiempos de Cambi).
Let’s Talk Learning Differences addresses critically important social justice and equity of educational opportunity issues faced by those in the neuro-diverse community.
COVID-19 Information and Resources. This page will be updated regularly as new content is developed. In addition, the Autism Response Team remains a resource for all families in our community. On this hub, families can find:
- Answers to common about coronavirus and how it impacts the autism community.
- Tips on how to manage disruptions to school-based services, and how to continue clinical care while social distancing.
- Teaching stories to help kids understand our current environment and adapt to changes in routine.
- Links to resources for educators and healthcare professionals.
- Links to translated resources where available.
Coming soon: We are working on a series of videos answering questions and providing tips to help families work through common challenges. These will be posted to the COVID-19 resource hub and our YouTube channel as they’re available, and shared on our social channels. We encourage you to find @autismspeaks on Facebook and Instagram for regular updates.
Autism Speaks has a guide with pictures that will help to prepare children for air travel from the time they arrive at the airport until they land at their destination. You can view it here.
Autism Speaks provides helpful information at the following links:
- Exploring Feeding Behavior in Autism: A Parent’s Guide
- Helping Families with Feeding Issues
- Autism and mealtime: A therapist’s top ten tips for success
- Seven Ways to Help a Picky Eater
- What Is It about Autism and Food?
- Parent of Teen with Autism Seeks Help with Narrowing Food Choices
- Child with Autism Won’t Eat Foods that ‘Smell’
- Help! Our Adult Son Has Severe Autism and Extremely Narrow Diet
- Parent Seeks Advice: Child with Autism Eats Only Candy & Chips
- Parents Seek Help: Child with Severe Autism Eats Only Sweets
- Encouraging Picky Eaters with Autism to Try New Foods
- Parent Needs Help: 4-year-old with Autism Won’t Eat Solid Foods:
- Will eating-disorder program help with autism-related food aversions?